Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Venice Surprise!!!

Surprise! We're in Venice!

So, as you all know by now (apparently), Adrien surprised me with a trip to Venice before we came back to Nice. I was completely blown away by all the work he put into planning that, and completely in the fog before hand -- I would have never in a million years even suspected anything was awry. (And by 'awry' I mean, I had no idea a beautiful hotel, beautiful dinner, and even more beautiful dress were all awaiting me in one of the most romantic cities in the world.) Erin in Venice

In short, it was beautiful. I never expected myself to be "one of those" tourists who'd come back to America and say, "Oh, it's so unique you just have to see it! The art! The architecture! The magic! The grandeur! ... I can't describe it." ... and yet! It was that for me. I found it extraordinary, and as everyone else who's visited will tell you, it's spectacular. It's beauty is unique and it truly is great in a way that can't be conveyed properly through my words.

Venice

Despite the feast for the senses, the amount of tourists was suffocating, and blocking them out was difficult. They visit Venice in droves and arrive by the hundreds. Venice is a natural beauty, completely romantic and everything one would hope for, but I feel upset that it's being exploited and used like a theme park.

Adrien's mom told me that as a kid she went and it was empty -- a hidden gem. It makes me a little bit sad to think that a place which was once someone's quaint home town has turned into this massive, undulating money-making machine.

BUT, despite that, its beauty is one-of-a-kind and I will definitely be back, albeit in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment