Thursday, October 15, 2009

I'm naming this the first day of fall!

Fall is here! And in Florida that means we're granted a brief reprieve from scorching heat and oppressively heavy humidity to enjoy a few weeks of sixty degree mornings and seventy-eight degree afternoons.

Lucky for me this also means I have an excuse to cook with two of my favorite ingredients: pumpkin and pomegranate. And after I heard about the national pumpkin shortage this holiday season, I ran out to Whole Foods (tell me, what's it like having a life?) and stocked up on more pumpkin than any household would ever need.

Anyway, it occurred to me this afternoon that it's not like I'll be baking for an army any time soon, so WHAT THE HECK, how much pumpkin can one couple eat?!

I used my time wisely and scoured the internet for something delicious and pumpkin-y to bake for my love and my self and poof!

Pumpkin Bread:


It's really delicious and even better when it cools (it tastes more like a cake than a bread).

1 (15 ounce) can organic pumpkin puree
4 organic eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 7x3 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

It's almost Friday. I like that. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment